Lead

May 4 08 10:52 AM

Tags : :

have just come back from the field with some to make a crumble,now before I hurl the leaves to the hens,can they eat them? have had a funny moment & half recalled they are poisonous??
Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 4 08 11:24 AM

I googled & came up typically with opposing answers one said it was a good natural wormer & the other said dont give them it might toss one in & see what happens,they are such lovely green leaves,shame to just toss them to compost

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 4 08 2:40 PM

GTM, my hens decimated the rhubarb in the garden last year, they loved pecking away at the leaves so much that the stalks didn't get a chance to grow!

They lived to tell the tale

I was interested to hear that you read of it being a natural wormer.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 4 08 3:32 PM

Rhubarb leaves contain a lot of oxalic acid, it's certainly poisonous to humans and my dad once tried to make a weedkiller using rhubarb leaves (those last two facts are in no way connected), don't know how it works on chickens, but if Leanne's are anything to go by, your chickens are probably sitting there right now trying to work out how to sew the leaves together to make paachutes for their next escape attempt.

Alice

If you do the exact opposite of 98% of the people around you then you will succeed.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 5 08 8:47 AM

I noticed this morning they were all stll there,the odd pecked ripped bit but whether thats because they had lots of hedgerow stuff to peck thru or because they didnt like it I am not sure,I will pick them out later tho

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 5 08 8:51 AM

aliwood wrote:
Rhubarb leaves contain a lot of oxalic acid, it's certainly poisonous to humans and my dad once tried to make a weedkiller using rhubarb leaves (those last two facts are in no way connected), don't know how it works on chickens, but if Leanne's are anything to go by, your chickens are probably sitting there right now trying to work out how to sew the leaves together to make paachutes for their next escape attempt.

that made me smile... please dont give them ideas Alice!

image ~Lea~ image

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 5 08 10:31 AM

My canaries and quail eat them through the aviary mesh, ok with them. I used to boil the leaves and use the liquid as an insectacide.

Grow it, catch it, forage for it, cook it, eat it, enjoy it.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 6 08 5:15 PM

Erm......I wouldn't give them to any livestock as they are poisonous!!! I use them as a mordant for dyeing sometimes and they are also a self mordanting dye. One has to keep the windows and doors open as the oxalic acid is very dangerous and produces fumes!
Chickens and other restricted access animals will try eating anything green but will reject stuff if truely free range..........be careful!

www.woollyshepherd.co.uk
www.smallholdinginsomerset.blogspot.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help